Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day One - Getting Started

Sunday, June 9, 2013

I got up at my usual 5 am, ate breakfast, stopped at Dunkin Donuts, and was rolling by 5:45.  It was a nice clear day to travel and I cruised along without really hitting any traffic at all.. I made it all the way to Chambersburg, PA, about 450 miles..  

Talking to a friend on the phone, she asked if I was stopping in Chambersburg because the old truck could only make it that far in one day..  I told her I stopped because the driver could only drive the old truck that far in one day !


This is the first year traveling with my I Phone so I bought a spiffy new windshield bracket and use it listen to music through my Bose Noise Canceling Headphones and to make and receive calls.  Of course I never text....Next to it is my trusty GPS.  As I drove along this morning, I remembered there were no satellites in space when my truck was built in 1953.  I think the Russians got the Sputnik into the air in '57..  How times have changed..



Driving by this road sign will certainly make you stop and think...




Stopping in New Jersey for gas, I saw this character driving his hot rod Model A Ford.  He acted and looked the part of a '50's hot rodder right down to the hair style, the T- shirt, and the cigarette.  The car was well done with a Flathead Ford V-8 motor.  I was impressed until I asked him what year Ford the Flattie V-8 engine was from.  When he told me 1956, I knew he was full of crap.  Ford last manufactured that motor in 1953.  Still, it was a cool car.  With the straight exhaust, (no mufflers) ,you couldn't miss hearing him roll in...




So take a look at the next pic and tell me,  Who is happier than these two ? The guy has his spotless Harley out for a Sunday Drive, his feet up on the highway pegs, and his best girl right behind him !  She looks like the happiest biker chick on earth...Harley riders love old trucks, I get the thumbs up from them all the time.   This was a damn lucky shot, I was going about 65 and they blew by me !




I arrived at the hotel, fixed a small oil leak in my truck ( hopefully ) , showered, then took a ride to the center of Chambersburg.  Driving through here in 2011, I remember almost getting into a smash at this crazy fountain.  There are two lanes, and the traffic splits around this thing on either side.  Most of the area is two lane one way streets, crazy, Basically, all the people with Pennsylvania plates blow their horns and yell at the out of staters like me.  At one point tonight, I was going down a road, when someone yelled out " Wrong Way ! "   I looked at the arrows painted on the road, and he was right, I was going the wrong way.... Oops..



The city is full of handsome brick buildings and like much of this area, was an integral part of Civil War History.

Tomorrow I will be hitting the road for Charlottesville, Virginia.  I am going to spend a couple of days there.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice iPhone, GPS setup Bill. And that is impressive that you got your camera up and a photo snapped just as they blew by with the thumbs up :) It does look like they were having a great afternoon for themselves. I don't know, I've been trying to figure out what I would like to be traveling down the road on/in. I'm thinking a nice little well appointed camper with a few of the comforts of home.

    ReplyDelete